Saturday, May 1, 2010

Teaching the Outsiders

Matthew 9:12-13 (Message)
Jesus, overhearing, shot back, "Who needs a doctor: the healthy or the sick? Go figure out what this Scripture means: 'I'm after mercy, not religion.' I'm here to invite outsiders, not coddle insiders."

When I read that verse, I stopped to think about people that I know that invite outsiders and go to the sick and hurting. One person that stuck out in my mind is my sister, Emily. I know what your thinking, another sister story? Yep! Because they are awesome and do crazy things. And just wait because one of these days you will hear about my other sister, Libby, who may actually be the craziest one of all of us.

But today is a story about Emily because through her daily choice to demonstrate love and acceptance to a group of the forgotten, she is impacting many precious lives.

Emily is an art teacher at the high school in my hometown. She is very talented and God has given her amazing creativity. She teaches different ages and levels of art, but the most impressive part of her job is that she teaches art to special needs students.

She goes out of her way to assign them projects that give independence, freedom and excitement to their day. These students, if she was allowed to have favorites, would be her favorite. Her heart is specially crafted to connect with them and show them their value.

While most people have sympathy for those with special needs, Emily has compassion and sees the potential in each one of them.

What you don't know about Emily is, she has about 30 degrees and 60 certifications (I may have rounded up) and is qualified to teach almost anything at any level. She has studied multiple subjects, trained to write curriculum and could run a drama department, coach a debate team and organize prom all with her baby on her hip. But sometimes it is not about what we are capable of doing, but what we will humble ourselves to do.

My sister, Emily has chosen a small high school and a special group of teenagers, because teaching the outsiders is a high calling... and this inspires me.

2 comments: