Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Greater is He

This past Saturday night Kyle and I stepped way, way, far beyond our comfort zone and saw a world that we had never seen. A group of people who are so hurt, confused and lost that it broke our hearts. This story is about the unlovable.

It is pretty easy to say that a man that goes to strip clubs and a woman that steps out on the stage to sell her body are pretty unlovable. Well, it turns out that when you give them a face and a name they are just like us. Yes, us. If Kyle's parents hadn't been wonderful and he wasn't saved at an early age, he could easily be a young man that thinks of strip clubs as normal weekend hang outs. And I, could have been abused, neglected and a few bad choices later being giving myself away to pay the rent. It is hard to comprehend how easily it happens, but the devil has evil motives from the beginning and preys on hurting young people.

So, Saturday night my friend Jessica and I went with six other women to a strip club to wash the feet of strippers. For 2 1/2 hours we sat in the dressing room and gave pedicures to the girls, talked to them, listened to their stories and just treated them like the valuable people they are. While we were inside, Kyle and Andrew (Jessica's husband) sat in the car parked far behind the club and prayed for us and the men going in the clubs.

For Jessica and I it was shocking, amazing, overwhelming, heart breaking, hopeless and full of hope all at the same time. And for the guys, it was somehow the same. Though they were far away and guarded from the evil that we were sitting in, they were just as much a part.

So much happened to our hearts that night that I cannot figure out a way to write it out. It was overwhelming to meet the outcast of society and discover that they are real people. My heart aches when I think of what those girls are doing right now as I sit here writing about them. I wonder what is happening to their heart as they are being taken advantage of and how the Lord is so grieved watching His precious daughter.

I decided not to write about the details of the night in this blog, because God hasn't even gotten there with me yet. I haven't even processed the conversations that I had with the women. I feel like I am still standing in the entry of the club, walking into every darkness you can image, asking the Lord "why?".

This was an eye opening experience that I will never forget and I am so humbled the Lord used me to love on His brokenhearted daughters. But, what amazes me the most is for the first time in my life I truly understand this verse:

1 John 4:4
You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.

The thickness of evil that filled that strip club could not penetrate or consume me... because He was in me. And I am in awe.

Katy

(We will continue doing this the first Saturday of every month at 8pm so please pray for us and the women that we going in there to rescue)

2 comments:

  1. I found you through a mutual friend and just want to say, what a blessing that I found you! I love what you are doing and you are an uplifting inspiration to all of us Christians living in this imperfect world. Thank you for sharing your Jesus/God inspired life so that we may all learn and bask in the glory of God! I will be praying for your ministry, it is a wonderful thing you are doing!!! God bless you and everyone involved in that wonderful outreach!!!!!

    ReplyDelete