Thursday, May 27, 2010

Far, Far Beyond Me

This blog is a warning. If you ask God to use you to help the hurting, He will.

Yesterday I was invited to a meeting with four other women to discuss the problems we are facing concerning the human trafficking happening right here in our surrounding area. We each shared about the burden we have and all agreed that God is ready for us to do something more than we currently are and we need to pray. So we decided to meet every Thursday night during the summer to ask the Lord for direction on how we will make a difference.

I left that meeting excited about a new opportunity to be the hands and feet of Jesus, yet overwhelmed by the need that is so far beyond me.

Then, just a few hours later, I was invited to have dinner with a young woman that is a counselor for women rescued from the Red Light District in Mumbai, India. I was heartbroken as she told me story after story of girls being kidnapped and abused.

Once again I left that meeting excited about the connection God made, but overwhelmed by the need that is far beyond me.

And finally today. About four o'clock, we got a phone call at work that the police in a near by city had picked up a 24 year old prostitute and were asking us to find a place for her to go. Excuse me? I work at a church... in women's groups. Well apparently that now fits in my job description.

This young woman had been praying that the police would find her for two days in this motel because she had no where to go and didn't know what to do. So today, when the police picked her up, she told them her story and ask for help to get out of this life. (This is were the women's department comes in.)

So the police call us, and after about and hour or so of calling people and making arrangements, we got the next few weeks of housing lined up for her and made a plan of how to help this woman long term.

It was pretty unusual for a Thursday afternoon but what I kept thinking as I drove home was; we asked for this. I know that every one of us who were working to help this hurting young woman have said "whatever it takes, Lord, to make a difference, I will do it."

And now, the opportunity was brought to us, and all we had to do was choose to step into what God had divinely put together and trust that He would make it work.

Though that situation was overwhelming and far beyond us, it was never far beyond God.

- Katy

No comments:

Post a Comment