Thursday, October 28, 2010

Red Lights in November

In two weeks I will be going on a trip with 14 other people to Europe where a large number of women and children are being trafficked for sex slavery. The team I am going with will be helping with an awareness day in the city, going to rescue centers and researching what our church can do to aid in the fight against modern day slavery. Currently, my church financially supports the organization that we will be working with, but it is our heart to do everything we possibly can to free the captives.

One evening we will be going to the red light district of the city to see the brothels, so I am asking you that during the month of November, every time you pull up to a red light, pray for us. It is a simple reminder for you that the red light districts around the world are growing daily and in November I need your prayers!

Two weeks from today I will be there. It is hard to prepare for this trip. I am very familiar with mission trips, but most of the time when someone returns, I hear them talk of poverty, illness and lack of basic needs. If I was going to a village in Africa I feel like I would know what to expect based on what I have heard from family who has been.

This trip is about witnessing a vile injustice, treating someone like an animal and forcing them into a life of slavery. I have no frame of reference or idea what it will be like to talk someone who has just come out of that situation.

The unknowns of this trip are what scare me the most. I am very excited as I know this will be absolutely life changing, but as it gets closer I am taken back by the gravity of the circumstances I will witness.

A few months ago someone asked me if I was scared to go, and I said "I am more afraid of not doing what God tells me to do." I truly mean that, so when fear tries to rise up, I will be remembering that the best place to be in the world is right where God wants me. And, for two weeks of November that will be on the other side of the world trying to live this verse:

He has showed you, O man, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

Micah 6:8

- Katy

No comments:

Post a Comment