Friday, August 13, 2010

The Why's

Sometimes things happen that make you go "Really?"

This morning I learned about a sad loss in my family and my body is still numb. I am frozen by the "why" in my heart.

A few years ago my family experienced a tragic loss and the "why" of that event took over in my heart for a season. That is a nice way of saying I was ticked at God. For months I was in a funk of numbness and hurt. From that experience I learned that the "why" that haunts you can be your worst enemy. To demand to know why and understand can be the source of depression or rebelion.

Today as I feel the need to scream at the Lord and explain to Him what would have been better, I know deep down that my will has to rise above my emotions and decide to trust my faithful God.

I'm not going to stuff down my feelings or pretend that I'm fine, but I will express them and know that although those feelings are real, they have no power over me.

The only power that I can allow to be over me is the healing power of the Holy Spirit. It is His job to heal mine and my family's heart and it is our job to guard our hearts from bitterness.

I believe it is not the events in our lives that cause the most pain. It is the why that we allow to control us.

- Katy

No comments:

Post a Comment