Sunday, August 8, 2010

Three Lessons

It is Saturday night and I could be spending time with my awesome friends or family. But instead I am here, sitting on the ground in the corner of the dressing room hunched over clipping a strangers toe nails and she's HIGH!!

These were the thoughts that were going through my mind about 9pm this past Saturday as I was back at the strip club giving pedicures to the dancers with three other women.

The lessons learned this time: 1) humility 2) patience 3) and a grand finale of faith.

Humility


I realized something while washing "Clover's" feet. The moment I walk in the door here, I no longer work at a mega-church and do important Kingdom things all day. I don't tithe or give to missions. I don't have a solid marriage, healthy friend and family relationships. I don't watch what I eat, work-out or drink lots of water. I am no longer the person that makes me a "good person" in church world. I am a stranger here to give you a free pedicure.

A dancer decides I look trust worthy enough to let me paint her toenails and immediately I am a part of her world. Smoke blowing my face, dirty language used in our conversation and all the drama you can image. So different than my world.

Then the moment I walk out, my handsome godly husband picks me up in our shiny new truck and saves me from the dirtiness and takes me to our peaceful happy life. (Keep in mind I like it that way and I don't want any of that to change, I guess I just find it ironic.)

Any way, that is how the evening began. Contemplating how my life is so so so different then theirs, but only by a few choices.

Patience


While sitting listening to the girls' casual conversations, each one of them admit that they have either been raped or sexually abused. This is their casual conversation. That is when I realized that maybe clipping Clover's toenails didn't matter tonight, but overtime it will. This ministry is about trust. When you reach out to those who have been wronged their entire life, it is going to take some time.

Faith


While we were in the club, Kyle stayed at a near by McDonald's and prayed for us. As he was sitting there a woman walked up and asked him if he was reading the Bible. He said yes and they began talking about why he was there. She said that she was a Christian also, from New York, just passing through and she thought it was awesome what he was doing and went on the restroom. When she came out, the woman went back over to Kyle and said that God had told her to give to the ministry and handed him a $100 check.

That woman's faith in God's leading gave us a huge boost of faith and encouragement that we were needing. It showed Kyle that his time spent in pray mattered. It showed me that the time spent listening to these hurting women mattered. And even clipping Clover's toenails mattered. But most of all, the dancers matter.

- Katy

No comments:

Post a Comment