Saturday, August 21, 2010

When Priorities Change

Goals, dreams, lists, values... all great things, but it seems they change.

When I was younger I wanted to work in marketing in a tall building in the big city, drink coffee, wear high heels, be in charge of things and go to meetings with clients. I know, drink coffee? But it just seemed really cool.

So at the ripe age of 21 I actually worked for an advertising agency, in a tall building in the big city, drank coffee, wore high heels, had a lot of responsibilities and even went to client meetings. (some pretty cool ones to) Well, it turned out that was not what I truly desired after all. What my heart longed for, was something completely different!

God removed me from that career path and took me to my current job in women's groups, which by the way, I said I would never do. I work for an incredible church that is setting the example for churches all over the world for health, healing, worship, stewardship, giving, local and global outreach and much more. My job is not glamorous as I spend most of my day answering questions and making excel sheets, but I love it. It is my dream for today and God changed my heart so that I could fulfill this role in the church body. For the record I still wear high heels.

The reason I was thinking about this is my sister posted a blog today about not having a desire to have anymore biological children, although she values that gift, her heart has been changed by the Lord to long for orphans to have homes. Her mother's heart has been redirected for the motherless. What an honor that the Lord trusted her to fulfill this role. She is an advocate for orphans around the world and her voice will bring thousands of abandoned children to their mommy and daddy.

I am so proud that what society says is most important, does not control her decisions, but her humility to the little ones in need and listening to the call of God.

This makes me wonder what dreams I have now that I currently think are important, but will eventually turn into insignificant details. I can say today that I never would have dreamed of being a part of a ministry that washes the feet of strippers... but God changed that too.

-Katy

No comments:

Post a Comment