Friday, August 27, 2010

Population Me

I was just in the car and heard a new song on KLTY. It caught my attention because, although I don't remember the exact lyrics, the idea was; I can make selfish decisions when the population is me.

That line of "population me" was very black and white. Selfish = me, selfless = 2. When we do something for another person, we leave the "me" camp and our perspective is broadened.

My husband and I have just bought a home and are moving this Sunday. We prayed through every decision regarding this house, because we knew this home was not ours, but a tool the Lord would use to bring peace and joy to other people. The first evening we owned the house, we went in the backyard and said "This is God's house. We don't deserve this and we did nothing to earn this. So we will only use it how God tells us to use it."

Making that decision from day one was so important to the population of our house. We can have a mentality of "us four no more" or we can create a safe environment for hurting people to come and find healing, through hospitality and friendship.

This example was set for us very strongly by our parents. Many people have found the love of Jesus through the peace and safety of our parents homes.

I wanted to write about this today because I pray that many others will have their perspective broadened about the value of their home. In American, the value of homes are based on size, materials used, trees on the lot, etc. But what is the true value of your home? Do you see it as a place for your family to eat and sleep? Or is it a place of refuge for the needy and comfort for the brokenhearted.

Kyle and I were raised in homes that didn't just shut the door to the world around it, but welcomed others in and met their needs.

This blog is a shout out to our parents. They prove that communities are changed when a family doesn't close the blinds, but instead, looks out and loves those who need help.

-Katy

1 comment:

  1. What a great, and inspiring thought! It is so easy to get caught up in materialism that we forget everything else. It makes me think of the Christian singer Keith Green who invited any and everyone into his home.
    -Erin
    www.undividedheartministry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete